reload or restart after spamassassin/local.cf change?

Dominic Raferd dominic at timedicer.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 11:47:58 CEST 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 10:22, Martin Johannes Dauser <mdauser at cs.sbg.ac.at>
wrote:

> Amavis is the SA daemon substitute. You can say, you have a SA daemon
> but it's not the standard daemon from the SA project. That's why you
> need to restart the amavis daemon which took over this role.
>
> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 09:57 +0100, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> >
> > Just wanted to double check this, because it is counter-intuitive to
> > me. I thought amavis called SA 'from scratch' each time it wanted to
> > use it, so any change in SA config would be picked up immediately
> > (because SA must reload its config each time it is called by amavis as
> > there is no running SA daemon). If that is not the case, can someone
> > explain why?

Thanks for the reply. I realise amavisd-new runs as a daemon but it then
calls SA (technically, perl Mail::SpamAssassin) for each mail it wants to
check - and I would expect that SA loads its parameters *each time* from
its config files. I may be wrong but if so I don't understand why. (Some
help info at https://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-spam confirms that
SA, running from amavis, reads and honours its local.cf - but doesn't
answer my question)