reload or restart after spamassassin/local.cf change?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Apr 17 12:45:08 CEST 2019

>> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 09:57 +0100, Dominic Raferd wrote:
>> > Just wanted to double check this, because it is counter-intuitive to
>> > me. I thought amavis called SA 'from scratch' each time it wanted to
>> > use it, so any change in SA config would be picked up immediately
>> > (because SA must reload its config each time it is called by amavis as
>> > there is no running SA daemon). If that is not the case, can someone
>> > explain why?

>On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 10:22, Martin Johannes Dauser <mdauser at cs.sbg.ac.at>
>wrote:
>> Amavis is the SA daemon substitute. You can say, you have a SA daemon
>> but it's not the standard daemon from the SA project. That's why you
>> need to restart the amavis daemon which took over this role.

reload is enough.

On 17.04.19 10:47, Dominic Raferd wrote:
>Thanks for the reply. I realise amavisd-new runs as a daemon but it then
>calls SA (technically, perl Mail::SpamAssassin) for each mail it wants to
>check - and I would expect that SA loads its parameters *each time* from
>its config files.

amavisd calls SA routines.  Amavis loads them, including configs, at startup
to avoid loading it and parsing config files every time new mail arrives.

spamd behaves the same way, because of the same reason, and you need to
reload after config change too.

Fucking windows! Bring Bill Gates! (Southpark the movie)