UTF8 support

R M Crorie robincrorie.amavis.org at crorie.com
Thu May 3 19:32:00 CEST 2018

I've been using amavis-new for a number of years as the front end to
Exim 4 very successfully but I've recently noted in my Exim log that
some messages are being "bounced" when Exim tries to pass them to
amavis-new.  The log message is:

utf8 support required but not offered for forwarding

That log entry is of course coming from Exim, but the log entry also
makes it clear that this is occurring when the message is being
transferred to amavis for scanning, via the Exim router and transport.
I know - I've checked! - that Exim is offering UTF8 support but
TELNETing to the loopback address on port 10024 on the mail server shows
that although amavis is offering 8-bit MIME support, it doesn't mention
UTF8 support.  It could be that this is a config problem that has always
existed, and I've just not noticed until now, or perhaps something has
changed in Exim and/or amavis.  Either way, it means that valid messages
are being rejected.

In the short term, I'd like to fix this without turning off UTF8 support
in Exim by setting smtputf8_advertise_hosts to NULL but in the absence
of an easy fix in the amavis config, I'm happy to fall back to that, as
I don't expect to receive (m)any messages using UTF8.  However, I can't
track down any existing useful advice about UTF8 support in amavis
/(other than that "It is best to run amavisd-new in a non-UTF8 locale
environment"! :-) )/ so I'd appreciate suggestions.

Version in use is 2.8.1-11.1-x86_64...  thanks.