Running amavisd-new on MX hosts?

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Thu Feb 11 22:10:02 CET 2016

* Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah at zimbra.com>:
> --On Thursday, February 11, 2016 5:56 PM +0100 Mark Martinec
> <Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si> wrote:
>
> >>It's illegal to quarantine in some countries. ;)
> >
> >What you probably meant is that discarding a message is illegal
> >(i.e. not delivering and not notifying a sender of non-delivery).
> >
> >Quarantining by itself is independent from the above requirement,
> >although it may be subject to privacy and data retention regulations.
>
> Hm, I thought the issue with Germany at least, was that it's not
> legal to interfere with the delivery of the message.  For private
> e-mail, that includes "looking" at it (such as marking it as spam,
> etc), depending on the court who hears the case.  I would think
> quarantine would fall under that.

Nope.

You must not accept a message and discard it. But you may accept and hold
(read: quarantine) it, *as long* as you notify the recipient about it.

The reason many admins in Germany (and probably elsewhere as well) try to
avoid quarantine is that the tend to cause extra work.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64