false positive : BANNED contents (text/plain,.exe)

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Wed Oct 1 14:55:42 CEST 2014

Alexandre,

> The attached email was rejected by amavis whereas it's perfectly
> legitimate and with no attachment (plain text email send to the
> Dovecot mailing list). My amavis setup is working fine for monthes
> and it's the first time I'm see a false positive. Can you help to
> find if it's a bug or a mistake with my configuration ? If you need
> log / config file, just tell me.

For some reason your file(1) utility considered that particular
text/plain mail part to be some sort of an executable file.
Search the log for 'p.path' and 'File-type of' (log level 4).

Try a newer version of the file(1) utility. As far as I can tell
the recent ones do not treat your sample as an executable.