Local recipients question

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri Jun 29 17:32:03 CEST 2012

Antoine,

> I'm currently working on a new amavis frontend (that will be part of
> http://modoboa.org/).
>
> I'm trying to correclty fill the *users* table to let amavis know which
> recipient can be considered local or not. My basic idea was to create a
> record for each mailbox defined into Modoboa but I forgot to consider
> aliases and distribution lists.
>
> I think creating a record for each recipient can quickly become a mess
> (huge table and co.) but I also think creating only one global record
> for each domain can be *dangerous*.
>
> What's the best choice? Do you know another way to achieve that?
> Thanks in advance.

As far as amvisd is concerned, knowing which domains are local
suffices. Individual users may be listed in @local_domains_maps
(e.g. in an SQL database table 'users' or in LDAP or statically),
but this is not necessary. It is probably best to list all
local domains in table 'users'. If individual users need specific
settings, these can be listed individually, in addition
to domain-only entries. An SQL lookup first tries to find an
entry with a full recipient address, but if there is none,
the search continues with looking for a domain or subdomain.
See README.lookups, section 'SQL LOOKUPS'.

If aliases fall within the same set of domains, the above
should suffice.