Amavis and OpenDMARC

Nick Tait nick at tait.net.nz
Sun Nov 12 04:03:49 CET 2023

On 12/11/23 15:10, Noel Butler wrote:

> DMARC (thus OpenDMARC) makes its decision based on the senders DMARC
> fo policy -
>
> if policy uses fo=0  then yes, both SPF and DKIM must exist, and both
> must pass.
>
> if policy uses fo=1  then no, as a minimum /either/ SPF or DKIM must
> exist, and pass, so DMARC will work with only SPF or only DKIM, it
> will also work with both, which has the advantage that only one of
> these must pass, eg: SPF passes but DKIM fails, DMARC usinng fo=1 will
> pass.
>
> I recommend fo=1 for general use but fo=0 for critical areas, like
> govts, legal and finance sectors, or those who deal with them on a
> very regular basis, in which case they wouldn't be authorised to use
> there govt/corp email for private use so if ill-configured mailing
> lists for example rejected them, then that's acceptable collateral damage.

Hi Noel.

My understanding of the "fo" option is that it is only used for
reporting. i.e. It doesn't control whether the received email is
accepted or not, which is always based on /either/ SPF or DKIM checks
passing.

 From RFC 7489:

    fo:  Failure reporting options (plain-text; OPTIONAL; default is "0")
       Provides requested options for generation of failure reports.
       Report generators MAY choose to adhere to the requested options.
       This tag's content MUST be ignored if a "ruf" tag (below) is not
       also specified...

Nick.