Undesired ban of text mail

Luc Pardon amavisuser at skopos.be
Wed Dec 15 11:00:24 CET 2021

>What's your (and other people's) advice?

Building from source is definitely worth a try, I'd say.

You could start by trying to (re)build the version that is in your
current repo. In your case that would be 5.33. Pick up the SRPM from
there and start building.

If this is the first time, you may have to install some tooling:
rpmbuild and the compiler in the first place, but also autoconf,
automake etc. Normally, most of these build dependencies are listed
in the rpm spec file, so rpmbuild should tell you exactly what is
missing. Install that from the same repo and try again. Repeat until
it stops complaining <g>.

In my case (I am on Fedora), the SRPM will also try to build RPM's for
the Python bindings (python3-file-magic and/or python2-magic). If you
don't need those (i.e. if you don't have them installed right now), it
may be better to disable them in the spec file, rather than pull in a
lot of Python stuff for nothing.

When the build succeeds, you will have all the machinery in place for
the next step: download the latest and greatest sources from
upstream, edit the version number in the spec file to match, and build
again.

There is a fair chance that it will go smoothly. If not, you could try
to apply just the patch that you need to the "old" 5.33 version.

Feel free to contact me off-list if needed.

Luc