Whitelisting specific sender addresses for specific recipient addresses

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Jan 8 17:09:47 CET 2019

Jan -
I have a client that needed the essential features you were looking for.
Essentially, allowing through banned attachments based on a sender+recipient pair.

I'm sure it's possible to extend Amavis to do that - but it really looked as though it was a "feature" that was not looked upon with favor. So, even if I wrote it, it wouldn't get integrated into the code, and would need maintenance as Amavis changed etc - and that would be entirely on my shoulders.

My approach was to handle it all externally. I have amavis configured to; for all banned files, send a report to a mailbox.
I then pull those report messages from the mailbox and process them.
I pull the details from the report [sender, recipient, sender IP etc]
I then do a lookup in a simple text file and start matching.

As I'm sure you're aware, sender addresses are trivially spoofed - and many readers of this list are probably having siezures right this second, at the thought of someone using them as criteria for allowing banned files through. :)

And they're right - it's not a fool-poof method. But it works for my client well enough.
And we don't *have* to only rely on the sender address, it's a pairing of sender+recipient.
And I can also trust the sender domain or IP address. [Which isn't trivially forged.]

[I can also control the types of attachments allowed - so really, it's a match of source-ip/domain + sender + recipient + attachment-type.]

I setup the script to run every few minutes and the system releases any quarantined messages to the original recipients. [So, there's some delay - in our case, a few minutes between runs. But it's pretty minimal.]

All the other messages stay in quarantine, and are purged via cron once they're 30+d old. That way if something isn't auto-released but we still need, we can manually do so.

We've been running this for years now, and by and large we're pretty happy. I *think* we've had a case or two recently, where one of those senders was infected with some malware/virus and it sent attachments that were forwarded through to an end user via this system - so it does have its risk. But, IMO, it's far better than the alternatives - No attachments at all, manual release of everything OR allow all attachments all the time. [I'm not the guy who manages the mail system day-to-day - so I should probably verify that it actually happened, rather than saying it did - but in any case it is a possible outcome. In our case, other layers caught those attachments and prevented any harm.]

-Greg