Amavis not being called from postfix

Dominic Raferd dominic at timedicer.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 18:34:10 CET 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 17:17, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I would think I want to use MILTER.

I too am interested in running amavis as milter (Patrick has written
some instructions in German), but the standard and more common setup,
and the one which you are emulating at present, is as content filter
instead, and I think you should focus on getting that working first.

As I understand it the disadvantages of this content filter
post-queue(?) approach are
- that mails are queued twice in the MTA [postfix] (once when it sends
them out to amavis, and again when they return), with two different
queue-ids, which is untidy and can make log tracking harder, and
- that the response from amavis cannot be passed back to the client
because the client has been told all is ok (250) when the email is
passed over to amavis and before amavis has processed it - but usually
you may not want to tell the client if you are quaranting or
discarding the mail it has sent.

The main advantage over calling amavis as a milter is that it doesn't
really matter how long amavis takes to process the mail, whereas with
a milter you have the client still connected and waiting for a
response. You can use something like
$child_timeout = 20;
so that amavis forces any child processes (esp. clamav) to give up
after a given period - this isn't required with the content_filter
approach.