Urgent:Amavisd or ClamD not blocked .exe files when change it to .pdf or .txt

Dino Edwards dino.edwards at mydirectmail.net
Sun Nov 5 23:07:07 CET 2017

Attach your amavis conf file please. Are you blocking .exe files in your config? How does the file(1) utility detect said files? Amavis relies on that utility to determine file types. If file(1) is not working correctly in your system it will not block those files. Copy the file to your system and run the following command:

file example.pdf

For instance, I took the executable AeroAdmin.exe and renamed it to AeroAdmin.pdf and ran the following command:

file AeroAdmin.pdf

It got correctly identified as an executable, see below:

AeroAdmin.pdf: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows

Dino Edwards
Web: https://www.deeztek.com<https://www.deeztek.com/>
[hermes_logo3]
Hermes Secure Email Gateway
Hermes Secure Email Gateway is a Free Open Source (Hermes SEG Community Only) Email Gateway that provides Spam, Virus and Malware protection, full in-transit and at-rest email encryption as well as email archiving. Hermes Secure Email Gateway combines Open Source technologies such as Postfix, Apache SpamAssassin, ClamAV, Amavisd-new and CipherMail under one unified web based Web GUI for easy administration and management of your incoming and ougoing email for your organization. It can be deployed to protect your in-house email solution as well as cloud email solutions such as Google Mail and Microsoft Office 365.

Learn More & Download the free open-source appliance at:
https://www.deeztek.com/hermes-secure-email-gateway/