BOTNET_* spam score meaning

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Fri Jul 28 09:33:43 CEST 2017

On 26-07-17 15:53, Phil Susi wrote:
> I've been googling for the last half hour and can not find any
> documentation that describes what these spam status scores mean.  I'm
> seeing good mail flagged as spam because of this:

> 	tests=[BOTNET_BADHELO=0.2, BOTNET_CLIENT=0.8, BOTNET_HIT=0.4,
> 	BOTNET_IPINHOSTNAME=0.2, CLICK1_IMEDIA=0.5,
> 	IMEDIA_FROM_NOT_SENDER=0.1, LOTS_OF_MONEY=0.001, RDNS_DYNAMIC=1,
> 	SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=disabled
>
> It does appear that the sending server's reverse DNS does not match.  Is
> that what is causing all of this?

See https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomPlugins#Unmaintained_Plugins

(and other results from
https://www.google.com/search?q=spamassassin+botnet+plugin)

This plugin has been discussed a few times over the years on the
spamassassin list, mainly when someone ran into similar issues as yours.
It's old, unmaintained and does some risky assumptions.

Kind regards,
	Tom