Upgrade due to CentOS 5 EOL

Alessandro Briosi ab1 at metalit.com
Thu Apr 13 11:02:02 CEST 2017

Il 13/04/2017 07:22, Robert Moskowitz ha scritto:
> Corrected URL:
>
> On 04/12/2017 10:34 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>

>> On 04/12/2017 09:53 PM, Curtis wrote:
>>> Good evening all
>>>
>>> We have been running Postfix/Cyrus/Amavis on CentOS for over 10 years.
>>>
>>> Now we are faced with upgrading from CentOS 5 due to EOL. Choices
>>> are CentOS 6 and 7.  Comments as to best choice would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> Centos6 EOL is ~8 years away.  Centos 7 EOL countdown does not start
>> until Centos 8 ships.
>>
>> Where is the question?
>>
>> I have Centos7/postfix/postfixadmin/dovecot/amavis/clamd running on
>> an armv7.
>>
>> I don't think I have everything worked out, still in test mode, but
>> you can see what I did to get it running at:
>>
>> file:///home/rgm/data/htt/httnet/homepage/Centos7-mailserver.html
>
> http://medon.htt-consult.com/Centos7-mailserver.html
>

>> Oh, and I suggest you check out Dovecot as part of your migration. It
>> has gained a large following over Cyrus even on Centos6.

I have both 6 and 7 in production. Setup is not much different, but
there are some things you'll need to address anyway.

I'd go with 7 as RH now should support release upgrade, which means that
upgrade from 7 to 8 will be a supported path, (though it's been possible
anyway). EPEL does a great job at providing working packages for amavis,
clamav etc, it's probably easyer than setting up centos 5.

Personally I'm testing a migration to debian which supports release
upgrades and has most of the packages out of the box, though it needs
more care 'cause security updates don't last as long as CentOS (but has
a nice cron-apt which works, yum sometimes is a pita).

As others have said you should look at how much time you have to spend.
>From 5 to 6 it's pretty much installing and fixing some changes in
configuration files. With 7 there's systemd which might give you some
problems if you are not used to it. Bu then all major distros now use
systemd so you'll have to start using it someday :)

my 2 cents.
Alessandro