spam assassin rule to block a From address

Kai Risku Kai.Risku at arrak.fi
Fri Oct 14 11:32:03 CEST 2016

There are many good tutorials on regular expressions on the net. Just google and start reading.. :)

The "[..]" construct is called a character class, and contains a set of characters or character ranges that should match a single character in the source. So "[0-9a-f]" matches a single character that is either a digit 0-9 or a letter a-f (those example addresses looked suspiciously like hexadecimal strings as there were no letters above f).

The "{..}" construct is a quantifier that say how many times the previous token should match (similar to how + matches one or more times and * matches zero or more times). In this case the quantifier "{16,}" means the preceding token (a hexadecimal digit) should be repeated 16 times or more.

So my example rule will only match if the email address starts with "airecom162+" followed by 16 or more hexadecimal characters just before the @-sign.

--
Kai.Risku at arrak.fi     GSM  +358-40-767 8282
Oy Arrak Software Ab   http://www.arrak.fi