Sender notifications - disable? customize?

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Tue Nov 29 09:58:48 CET 2016

* MRob <mrobti at insiberia.net>:
> On 2016-11-28 15:34, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > > Given that you advised sending banned notifications to senders, you
> > > consider the backscatter potential an acceptable risk for keeping that
> > > turned on?
> >
> > It's a calculated risk that tries to balance useful information against
> > getting on innocent peoples nerves. I am not aware of facts (numbers) that
> > make this an easy decision. Personally I use notifications for banned
> > files.
>
> I understand, but you contradicted yourself when you said:
>
> > > Does disabling $warn_offsite prevent ALL non-local notifications (based
> > > on $mynetworks?)? Should I set it to undef to disable?
> >
> > I wouldn't use warn_offsite, because it opens the door to backscatter. I'd
> > leave it at its default, effectively disabling offsite warnings.
>
> I'm trying to understand your particular opinion clearly. Are you saying
> that you do send banned file notifications, but only to internal senders?

I do notify internal and external senders about files that have been banned.

I do also notify internal senders (only) about bad headers, because others may
drop messages because of bad headers. I consider this a service to improve
deliverability. Customers, who send bulk mail once in a while, apprechiate
that. It helps them to optimize reach.

> As for the rest, I'm tempted to walk through the code by hand since playing
> with the configuration has gotten me nowhere and seems more time consuming.
> I will reply further and appreciate your guidance.

I'm definitely not a Perl guru, but I'll help where I can.

> Since it appears the notification text for banned files is called
> "notify_virus_sender_templ" (am I correct?), I guess it is dual-use and will
> have some variables that change depending if it is a virus situation or a
> banned file situation?

Yep.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München