Sender notifications - disable? customize?

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Mon Nov 28 13:42:15 CET 2016

* MRob <mrobti at insiberia.net>:
> I tried setting to undef instead of 0, but warning/notices are still sent
> out by amavis.  So I appear to have a problem with these settings being
> overridden somewhere else(?)(or not understanding the right settings to use)
> but I hope someone can still answer my other questions:

Did you set mynetworks and local_domain_maps? Without these settings amavis
won't be able to tell which directions - inbound/outbound -  mails are
flowing. By default it only notifies recipients who belong to hosts/domains in
local_domain_maps. Without this it won't notify at all.

> - Are there best practices advice about sender notifications?

Don't notify senders for

- spam
- viruses
- unchecked

as the envelope sender is usually forged. You'd end up barking up the wrong
tree and the server might get listed as backscatter server.

Notify senders for:

- banned files

> - Looks like default is to have notifications ("warnings?") enabled for
> attachments with banned file extensions. Doesn't this risk backscatter
> problems when sender address is forged?

Yes.

> - I cannot find a way to disable them - tried setting these all to 0 but no
> luck: $warnbadhsender $warnbannedsender $warn_offsite

See my remarks on mail flow directions.

> - I'm having a very hard time finding documentation on any of those
> settings, what exactly they do - where can I find that?

There isn't any. Amavis is orphaned.

> - Also, is there a place to customize the message body (and possibly
> headers) for these notifications ("warnings?")?

They are placed within amavis as templates. Which platform do you run amavis
on?

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München