external virus scanner with amavis

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon Jan 19 05:12:23 CET 2015

Ralf,

> i am using an external applicance for Virus scanning, in my case it's a
> trendmicro imsva.
> I want to use amavis for live-scanning mails for viruses in combination
> with the postfix-proxy function, to be able to do a live REJECT.
> Is is possible, to combine amavis with the external appliance, so virus
> scanning will happen live, like amavis and a local virus-scanner?

I am not sure I understand what you want to do:

- have amavis use your appliance virus scanner? That should be possible,
  amavis knows how to talk with external virus scanners (in fact amavis
  talks to most of the virus scanners through some sort of network stack
  or another) but you may need to figure out how anavis will send the
  file to the appliance and how to receive the answer. That may not take
  advantage of the full power of your applicance, but will give yo a
  full amavis environment, especially when dealing with the rejects.

- have the incoming email go through the appliance virus scanner and
  then through amavis? you should be using your virus scanner at it's
  fullest capacity, but the way to deal with viruses is split into what
  the applicance does and what amavis does.