Enabling Bayesian filter with amavisd-new + Spamassassin

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Wed Oct 1 14:31:08 CEST 2014

David,

> I posted the following message on ServerFault several days ago, but
> since
> it has gotten very little attention, I thought I would ask on this
> mailing
> list.
>
> I'm trying to figure out a few things:
> 1) If SpamAssassin is configured properly and I'm editing the proper
> config
> files

> 2) How I can get the Bayes filter's headers into my emails (even if the
> Bayes filter isn't used)

You can't.

However, you can enable bayes debugging from SpamAssassin
to be logged in the amavis log:

   $sa_debug = 'bayes';

these will be logged at amavis log level 3 (syslog level 'debug'),
so make sure $log_level is 3 or higher.

> 3) How many messages (100 vs. 200) that Bayes has to be trained on
> (with
> sa-learn) and if that's ultimately the issue I'm experiencing right
> now.

It's 200 each by default:

  $ man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf

   bayes_min_ham_num        (Default: 200)
   bayes_min_spam_num       (Default: 200)
     To be accurate, the Bayes system does not activate until a certain
     number of ham (non-spam) and spam have been learned.  The default
     is 200 of each ham and spam, but you can tune these up or down with
     these two settings.