ESMTP ABORTING: Connection broken during DATA

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Sat Jun 21 03:22:31 CEST 2014

Carsten,

> i changed the options, but it didn't help.
> Jun 20 22:59:31 my-postfix postfix/smtpd[6067]: timeout after DATA
> (759117 bytes)  from mail.foobar.org[111.222.111.222]
>
> so in master.cf it looks like this:
>
> 188.xx.xx.xx      inet  n       -       -       -       - smtpd
>    -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=no
>    -o smtpd_proxy_filter=localhost:10024
>    -o smtpd_proxy_options=speed_adjust
>    -o smtpd_proxy_timeout=800
>    -o content_filter=
>
> I am using Postfix 2.9.6-2 with amavisd-new 2.7.1-2 on debian wheezy.

> The interesting thing. If I send another mail from my gmail account to
> my server with an 13 MB attachment, amavis needs only 950ms.

That's the expected speed indeed.

> So it must be a problem with this special client or this message,
> which has an PDF attachment.

Maybe. If you can capture the traffic between postfix and amavisd
on a loopback interface, then we may be able to better see what is
going on (e.g.: tcpdump -i lo0 -s 0 -w 0.log 'tcp port 10024' )

> I understand the speed_adjust option the right way, this should
> eliminate the client as a source, so it must be the message?

Right.

> I hope this can be solved, as long as the client retries to deliver the
> message.

The client should re-try, but if the problem happens every time,
it is to no avail.