SOLVED Re: logging problem: logging to both /var/log/amavisd.log and to /var/log/messages

David Gessel gessel at blackrosetech.com
Thu Jul 17 10:56:36 CEST 2014

Ben,

Thank you for the prompt response, you got me where I needed to go.
Here's what I did in case anyone else has similar problems:

I didn't specify that local0 should not be logged to /var/log/messages
and the amavisd messages were getting swept up in *.notice (all
facilities emitting a log with a level "notice" and above get logged to
/var/log/messages by default).

adding local0.none to the /var/log/messages line in /etc/syslog.conf
solved the problem as so:

# tells syslog not log any (level = "none") messages from the local0
facility to /var/log/messages
*.notice;authpriv.none;local0.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
     /var/log/messages

# all levels from the local0 facility are logged to /var/log/amavisd.log.
local0.*                                        /var/log/amavisd.log

now amavisd logs are only going to /amavisd.log and the default messages
are going to /messages

This was a helpful reference: http://www.freebsddiary.org/syslogconf.php

-David