need help finding origin of timeout

Patrick Proniewski patrick.proniewski at univ-lyon2.fr
Tue Jul 15 15:35:43 CEST 2014

Mark,

Thank you for your helpfull answer.

On 15 juil. 2014, at 14:50, Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si> wrote:

>> Jul 15 13:20:26 host amavis[58256]: (58256-16)
>>  get_deadline switch_to_my_time(rx SMTP RCPT) - deadline in 480.0 s, set to 336.000 s
>
> Your amavisd timeout is set to 8 minutes.

Oh. This is stupid of me. I'm going to fix this ASAP.

> Here you can see that postfix gave up after 2 minutes
> and SpamAssassin took 3 minutes to complete.

can't be good.

> Bayes took 9 seconds which seems high.

it's high, but the bayes DB is about 1.1 GB. I'm pretty sure there is a cleanup process somewhere, though. Got to take a look into this before it goes out of hands.
Load on the host is OK. It's a dual MX setup, virtual machines, handling between 800K to 1M emails per week.

> Most of the time was taken by rules at priority 0.
> It could indicate a busy host, or a message hitting
> some worst case situation in a regexp of some rule.
> Capturing such message and running it from am
> command line to spamassassin -D  may tell more.

Now I got a pretty good idea: Spamassassin is lured into analyzing the attached PDF as if it's a regular body part. I'll have to look into this too. Pretty weird (happens on another unrelated server too, testing the same email).

thanks again,

Patrick PRONIEWSKI
--
Responsable pôle Opérations - DSI - Université Lumière Lyon 2
Responsable Sécurité des Systèmes d'Information