amavisd-new, read_hash and problem with a dot in localpart of emailaddress

Kuehler Guido via amavis-users amavis-users at amavis.org
Fri Sep 27 12:10:15 CEST 2013

Amavisd-New Version: 1:2.6.5-0ubuntu3.2

We must blacklist and whitelist sender-email-adresses and not complete domains, additional we must use different blacklists
and whitelists based on our different recipient-domains.

So we have read the Documentation and have our amavis.conf extended with the $per_recip_blacklist_lookup_tables section.

$per_recip_blacklist_sender_lookup_tables = {
'.it-power.biz' => read_hash('/etc/amavis/conf.d/blacklist_itp')
};

All is ok when we in the external file define email-adresses how name at domain.com<mailto:name at domain.com> or .domain.com
but when we define an email-address with firstname.lastname at domain.com<mailto:firstname.lastname at domain.com> (in the Example
guido.kuehler at steinel.at<mailto:guido.kuehler at steinel.at>) we receive the followed error.

Stopping amavisd: amavisd-new.
Starting amavisd: Array found where operator expected at /etc/amavis/conf.d/blacklist_itp line 2, at end of line
Error in config file "/etc/amavis/conf.d/blacklist_itp": syntax error at /etc/amavis/conf.d/blacklist_itp line 2, near "kuehler at steinel"
(failed).
So we change our entry in the external File to enclose the complete Email-Address with a  ' sign or a " sign.

Example:

'guido.kuehler at steinel.at'<mailto:'guido.kuehler at steinel.at'> => 1,

Result:

We can now start amavis without any error and see a successfull match from Amavis for the recipient-domain but amavis have
now no match for the defined sender-emailaddress when the sender-address is also 100% identical in an ckecked email.

The Problem exist only when a dot exist in the localpart of the emailaddress and when entryies with read_hash reads from an
external file.

I hope any one can give us an tip to resolve this Problem, we have looked very very long around in different
How-Tos, Documentations and have tested amyn variants but with no successfull solution.

Best Regards
Guido Kuehler