t/s path to test after vps overload

via amavis-users amavis-users at amavis.org
Mon Oct 28 02:57:58 CET 2013

another dumb question:

I have postfix/dovecot/amavis/policyd/mysql, that all works well, many
thank for all the help in the past

lately, my VPS suffered from overload of the physical server, my VPS
showing like load average of 130+ and iowait 99+; then they fix whatever
caused the issue, but, my mail is 'all stuck', seems one of the components
failed to keep accepting mails

under time pressure 'it only takes 60 sec to restart VPS and it will
work', I restarted VPS without really analyzing what failed, postfix,
policyd, amavis; mails were stuck on localhost, stupidly I failed to check
what port, etc

so I'm trying to document correct t/s path, as in, t/s for dummies 'to
test a know working system' if it's still working

is telneting and getting greeting like below sufficient ?

or should I just

#  service amavisd
 restart or reload

thanks for any pointers
# grep inet_sock amavisd.conf

$inet_socket_port = [10024,10026,10586];  # listen on multiple TCP ports

# telnet 127.0.0.1 10024
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 [127.0.0.1] ESMTP amavisd-new geko service ready
ehlo new.com
250-[127.0.0.1]
250-VRFY
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250 XFORWARD NAME ADDR PORT PROTO HELO IDENT SOURCE
quit
221 2.0.0 [127.0.0.1] amavisd-new geko closing transmission channel
Connection closed by foreign host.

# telnet 127.0.0.1 10026
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 [127.0.0.1] ESMTP amavisd-new geko service ready
ehlo new.com
250-[127.0.0.1]
250-VRFY
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-DSN
250 XFORWARD NAME ADDR PORT PROTO HELO IDENT SOURCE
quit
221 2.0.0 [127.0.0.1] amavisd-new geko closing transmission channel
Connection closed by foreign host.

# telnet 127.0.0.1 100586
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused