About Amavis::IO::RW

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Mon Sep 24 11:06:25 CEST 2012

Watthanachai Kekhua wrote:

> Today I found some error log in maillog ,
>
> Sep 18 06:04:01 SMTP01-IN amavis[75293]: (75293-02) Error flushing socket
> on Amavis::IO::RW::close: Error reading from socket: Connection reset by
> peer at /usr/local/sbin/amavisd line 7410. amavis 2.8.0
>
> I use amavisd 2.8.0 on BSD9.0
> And my amavisd.conf used "$log_level = 2;"
>
> When this error log show I could found email scan via amavisd and send to
> mailbox correctly . How could I should fix this error log ?

The Amavis::IO::RW is used by the client side of the SMTP protocol
implementation, or when communicating with some external virus scanners.

If the 'Connection reset by peer' by the end of a SMTP session occurs
rarely and a message was delivered nevertheless, it probably just means
that an MTA disconnected before the final QUIT command, so this should
be safe to ignore. It may also be a consequence of restarting an MTA
while message transfer from amavisd back to MTA was in progress.

If this occurs often, examining a more detailed log would be in order.