Help appreciated with sa_userconf_maps and sa_username_maps

Steve Scotter amavis-users at spectrumcs.net
Tue Nov 20 21:57:17 CET 2012

I can't comment on your first two questions, but  my technique while developing my recent Amavis / SpamAssassin / Postfix / Dovecot installation was three fold.

1) Enable logging of MySQL queries...
general_log=ON
general_log_file=/var/db/mysql/mysqld-queries.log
slow_query_log=ON
slow_query_log_file=/var/db/mysql/mysqld-slow-queries.log
log-output=TABLE
expire_logs_days=1

I initially had MySQL log to a file, but the formats not very easy to read so I looked into and converted to logging to table. Logging to SQL gives you the ability filter by date/time, user/host, command type as well as the SQL command its self. The general_log_file line isn't required in my setup any more, its just there for historical reasons.

** WARNING ** Enabling logging on a busy system will quickly fill up your disk. My MySQL server can log about 5GB a day. Also, there is also a big IO performance hit when enabling MySQL logging.

After trial and error I've settled on executing "TRUNCATE TABLE general_log" on a nightly basis to keep my logging under control. I leave my slow_query table along as it seldom gets anything, but its handy to keep an eye on it in case you do have a query that takes a long time.

Further food for thought www.oreillynet.com/databases/blog/2007/05/hacking_mysql_table_logs.html

2) Obviously best practice anyway, but I made every application use a different mysql username. This allows me to filter my general_log by application very quickly.

3) I added comment's to the SQL commands my application was using, if the application allowed me to alter the SQL commands the application used.
For example, here's my relay_domains.cf for postfix.

SELECT domain AS virtual FROM postfix_virtual_domains WHERE domain='%s' AND active = 'y' /* relay_domains.cf */

Good luck!

Steve