amavisd-new-2.8.0-pre3 (preview)

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Tue Jan 17 20:44:16 CET 2012

Quanah,

> Can you make this available on the amavis.org website?  As a heavy user of
> Amavis I would love to get to see what is new and to start seeing how it
> does vs 2.7.0 in our lab.

Done:
  http://www.amavis.org/amavisd-new-2.8.0-pre3.tar.gz

It is functionally very close to 2.7.0, but the source code diff is huge
due to numerous small code changes and optimizations, which is why
I chose to go with a version bump. I spent a lot of time with NYTProf
profiler, so if one is using amavisd without SpamAssassin, a few percent
speedup can be observed (with SA, the SA check is the slowest part
so any speedups on the amavisd side are just diluted). Btw, if using
SpamAssassin from trunk (3.4), a not-too-old checkout is required,
supporting passing of a message as a string reference (instead of
a string copy). There is no incompatibility with SpamAssassin 3.3
or older.

Should be compatible with 2.7.0 config and environment.
The altermime/mimedefang interface is untested.

Should work reliably, used in production at two or three sites,
but is not yet close to a release, as some features are still missing
or are unpolished.