invalid header: all-whitespace header field

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Thu Feb 9 17:20:56 CET 2012

Justin,

> Running Postfix/Dovecot with Amavis/Clam/Spamassassin.
> I have a Debian Squeeze mail server that was recently updated from
> Etch > Lenny > Squeeze. After the updates amavis is sending messages
> to quarantine. I can't seem to figure out why!
>   Error: INVALID HEADER: FOLDED HEADER FIELD MADE UP ENTIRELY OF WHITESPACE
> My /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user has
> $final_bad_header_destiny = D_PASS;
> $bad_header_quarantine_to = undef;
>
> So it SHOULD be passing them. Any idea on what is going on here?

If you find these message in a quarantine, this does not automatically
mean they were not also passed on. Check the log. Are you sure
the message was not forwarded to a recipient?

Indeed the $bad_header_quarantine_to=undef should have
disabled quarantining of bad header messages - unless you
have  some of its cousin settings configured otherwise
(@bad_header_quarantine_to_maps, %quarantine_method_by_ccat,
SQL field 'bad_header_quarantine_to' or its LDAP counterpart).

Or perhaps the message was also spam or infected, on top
of having a bad header, in which case other settings for a more
relevant contents category apply.

The definive answer lies in your log at level 5 when the event happens.
Check it by yourself, or mail it to me, or post it someplace.