Problem with spam quarantine

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri Aug 31 01:15:50 CEST 2012

Nick,

> > $ amavisd-release spam/04052-01-Od-cap3HyaUO-20120830T172903
> Hmmm, that's exactly the command I issued as well (see above),
> but it caused an error!

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

> As I was using amavisd-new-2.4.5-1.el5.noarch from the EPEL repo,

Aha!

> Finally, as a test, I decided to set:
>      $spam_quarantine_method = "local:spam/%n-%m" ;
> rather than:
>      $spam_quarantine_method = "local:spam/%n-%m-%i";

Good idea.

> And, to my (happy) surprise, this time it worked:

I'm glad.

> So the question now is: Why the format "local:spam/%n-%m-%i" is not
> working right with amavisd-release ?

There is some guesswork in amavisd-release, trying to guess
from a syntax of its argument (without having access to amavisd
config file) whether the quarantine location refers to an SQL
storage or to a file, and whether this file is compressed
or not. There were some improvements in this area during
later versions, although I believe there are still some corner
cases where the guesswork can fail. Choosing a different
file naming convention can avoid ambiguity or a bug.
Alternatively, adjusting code in amavisd-release can adapt
it to a particular installation.