sa_spam_modified_sub, -> spam_subject_tag2_maps

Mike Greene mikeg at rockisland.com
Thu Aug 9 01:47:30 CEST 2012

Since posting yesterday I've made a little bit of progress on my upgrade, but I've only managed to present more questions than resolutions so far.

We are upgrading from Amavis 2.6.4 to 2.8.0

In our amavis.conf file we have:

$sa_spam_modifies_subj = 0;
$sa_spam_subject_tag = '***SPAM*** '

We do an ldap lookup to see if 'amavisSpamModifiesSubj' = true and if it is we add ***SPAM*** to the subject and via dovecot-sieve (based on X-Spam-Flag) we'd pass the message directly to the inbox, if set to 'false' we wouldn't modify the subject and via dovecot-sieve we'd redirect the message into a spam folder.

I've since upgraded the amavis-schema to the latest and modified my amavis.conf file to include the following:

@spam_subject_tag_maps  = (); # N.B.: inconsistent name
@spam_subject_tag2_maps = ( q_ldap_s('amavisSpamSubjectTag2'), );
@spam_subject_tag3_maps = ();

For the mail account I'm testing with I set amavisSpamSubjectTag2= true thinking it would insert the ***SPAM*** on the subject line, however it didn't, it would insert the value of the attribute, which in this case was "true" ie; "trueSome Spammy Subject Line"  I changed the attribute value to ***SPAM*** and now it does insert that into the subject line, so I'm getting closer.

Further testing shows that the subject is modified regardless of what I have "amavisSpamModifiedSubj" set to, which is understandable since that isn't supported anymore.  I guess what I'm looking for now is how do I conditionally turn on and off the insertion of the ***SPAM*** text in the subject line.

Another question is, am I going about this the right way? I think I'm on the right path but before I head too far down this road I want to be sure I'm addressing this problem correctly.  I still need to modify our squirrelmail plugin to update the proper ldap attributes and populate all our mail users settings to the new values, so obviously I want to get this part right before tackling all the 'other stuff'.

Mike Greene
Rock Island Technology Solutions, Inc.
San Juan Islands, WA. 360-378-5884 x201