restarting amavis as Postfix SMTP proxy

Florian Effenberger floeff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:09:15 CEST 2012

Hello,

I run amavisd-new as Postfix SMTP proxy. When I update my SpamAssassin
setup with sa-update, I have to restart amavisd in order to have the
new rules in effect. This only seems to be possible by using the
restart or force-reload command. However, during a timeframe of about
10 seconds or so, any incoming SMTP connection will trigger a Queue
file write error, since the proxy is not reachable.

Is there any smarter way to have the new rules loaded, or is it best
to first stop Postfix, restart amavis and then start Postfix again? Or
does it make sense to play with the timeout values instead?

Thanks,
Florian