Amavis just stops and exits

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri Apr 20 20:37:48 CEST 2012

Alex,

> > I have a fedora15 server with amavisd-new-2.6.6-1 and
> > spamassassin-3.3.2-7 and occasionally amavisd just exits
> > and has to be restarted.

> > Apr 20 10:38:33 mail amavis[8442]:
> >   logging initialized, log level 2, syslog: amavis.mail
> > Apr 20 10:38:33 mail amavis[8442]:
> >   Valid PID file (younger than sys uptime 14 6:55:00)

> The second event looks loks like a normal restart: the process
> 17612 is shutting down, while the new 8442 is starting.
> Something is sending a restart signal to amavisd, perhaps
> some cron job or a log file rotator.

P.S.:

if the new starting process (like the 8442 from your log)
does not come up but fails during a start, a possible reason
is that some files (like a config file or DKIM keys file) is
too strongly protected, so a start as root succeeds, but a
start with reduced privileges fails.

To troubeshoot this, run one instance of amavisd non-daemonized,
e.g.:
  # amavisd foreground
or even:
  # amavisd debug

then request its restart from another concole, e.g.:
  # amavisd reload
and also (later):
  # amavisd restart

With some luck this will reproduce the problem, while showing
a failure reason on the first terminal.