Accessing amavisd database

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Sat Nov 19 02:38:28 CET 2011

Alex,

> I have two fedora15 servers running amavisd-2.6.6 and would like to
> monitor and graph the quarantine and other characteristics using munin
> or another application, using data from both systems.
>
> Currently I'm using munin to monitor the cache and scanned mails from
> the data at /var/spool/amavisd/db on each system separately. Is there
> a way to sync the databases from two systems, or use MySQL, or snmp to
> provide this data, then monitor the combined databases using munin?

If these berkeley databases are on separate hosts, there is no
sensible way to sync them into one. I think the cleanest approach
is to collect data from each amavisd instance with SNMP (we are
using Cacti for this).

The MIB comes with a package (file AMAVIS-MIB.txt). The SNMP agentx
comes with a package as well (amavisd-snmp-subagent) and connects
itself to a net-snmpd daemon, offering the amavis MIB.

Search the release notes for:

- newly supplied with the package is a program amavisd-snmp-subagent,
  acting as an SNMP AgentX, exporting amavisd statistical counters database
  (snmp.db) as well as a child process status database (nanny.db) to a
  SNMP daemon supporting the AgentX protocol (RFC 2741), such a NET-SNMP.
[...]