amavisd 2.7.0 and Mail::OpenDKIM

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri Jun 10 18:39:08 CEST 2011

Quanah,

| a small but consistent edge over Mail::OpenDKIM,
| not to mention that it lacks plenty of functionality.

clarification: it's the Mail::OpenDKIM that lacks some functionality
expected by amavisd (although it offers its own set, which is
probably not (yet?) interesting here). And as I understand it
currently only the signing is supported, not verification which
constitutes majority of processed mail for most sites).

> Wow, that's interesting, and generally I'd expect a C library to be
> significantly faster than a pure perl module.  I wonder why it's so slow.

It's probably not that slow. It's just that perl excells in
processing and I/O on large strings with few operations.
The Mail::DKIM and amavisd are optimized to take advantage of it.

> :/  Have you passed this on to the author?  They sure seemed
> to feel their module was significantly faster. :P

I haven't - (although I remember Vivek Khera and his valuable
presence on the Postfix ML ever since 2004, and even on the
amavis list). Feel free to do so if you wish.