Spamassassin configuration files not working

Gary V mr88talent at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 17:21:10 CEST 2011

On 4/30/11, Jimmi <jimmi at libero.it> wrote:
>  On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:01:25 -0600, Gary V wrote:
>> Looks like you are using Debian. You have to enable span scanning and
>> virus scanning because by default they are disabled. See the
>> directions in:
>> /etc/amavis/conf.d/15-content_filter_mode
>
>  Thanks Gary but I did it already. Spam filtering is working, you may
>  see it enabled in the log attached to my previous post, as well as
>  Clamav.
>
>  The problem is that it has not the same configuration of spamd. This
>  latter works well storing user preferences, byesean rules and WL/BL in a
>  MySQL db that amavis don't use because is not reading sql.cf, as well as
>  the other .cf files in /etc/spamassassin. I read that by default it
>  should read them but it don't.
> --
>  jimmi

Sure, sorry I was not paying better attention. Currently when using
amavisd-new, there is only one site-wide user "amavis" and
spamassassin is only called once per message. However, amavis has a
number of mechanisms for storing per-recipient settings (SQL, LDAP,
static hash maps and others).  "When calling of Mail::SpamAssassin
(SA) is enabled, it calls SA only once per message regardless of the
number of recipients, and tries very hard to correctly honour
per-recipient preferences, such as pass/reject, check/nocheck, spam
levels, and inserting spam-related mail header fields." As mentioned,
spamd is not used. Note that user prefs for the amavis user on a
Debian system are stored in /var/lib/amavis/.spamassassin/.

http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#faq-spam

When working with spamassassin and other programs like razor and
pyzor, su to the amavis user. For example:

su amavis -c 'sa-learn --sync'
su amavis -c 'spamassassin --lint'
su amavis -c 'sa-learn --dump magic'

cd /var/lib/amavis
wget http://spamassassin.apache.org/gtube/gtube.txt
su amavis -c 'spamassassin -D < gtube.txt'

However, it appears the latest release candidate of amavisd-new will
also allow for per-recipient SA config files, but it comes at a price:

- per-recipient (or per- policy bank) SpamAssassin configuration files or
  SQL configuration sets are supported (@sa_userconf_maps), and per-recipient
  SQL Bayes database usernames (@sa_username_maps);

http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/release-notes.txt

See: