Spamassassin configuration files not working

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+amavis at ijs.si
Fri May 6 16:28:17 CEST 2011

Jimmi,

> Ok guys, finally I got the point: I had to enable SA debugging in
> amavisd.conf AND start amavis plain debugging with:
> #amavisd-new debug

... or increase $log_level to 3 or higher so as not to have
SpamAssassin log message filtered out.

> Now remains to explain to me why SA is not reading the user preferences
> stored in the MySQL db, but this could be a limitation of SA module in
> following the spamd configuration files.

>  After few tests I got something:
>  - SA is reading MySQL db, at least AWL and Bayesean db. Not userpref,
>  at least there is no evidence of it, and for this reason no blacklist is
>  implemented; I must check it better and in case add the correct lines to
>  /etc/amavis/conf.d/50-user.

That is correct: SpamAssassin can use SQL for AWL and Bayes,
SQL-based preferences as implemented by SpamAssassin
are NOT implemented, as there was no point using them
as SpamAssassin was traditionally called by amavisd only
once per message (not once per recipient), so SA prefs
would not work correctly.

That has changed with the very latest 2.7.0-pre15 release.
See RELEASE_NOTES, search for @sa_userconf_maps and @sa_username_maps.
It is not particularly efficient, but at least it is there for those who
really need it and can afford some extra memory and switching time.

>  - SA access the AWL and Bayesean DBs with username 'amavis', therefore
>  does not consider the records with other usernames. Perhaps I must also
>  enable user preferences, I shall learn how.

See @sa_username_maps (as above). Just switching SQL username
for the purpose of Bayes is not too bad (compared to switching
user preferences). The 2.7.0-pre15 is needed for this.