Amavis and OpenDMARC

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Nov 28 10:45:01 CET 2023

>>I agree that DKIM designers messed this up quite much.
>>But again, we are here talking about DMARC.

>>On 21.11.23 12:06, Noel Butler wrote:
>But they are inter-twined, DMARC just does what DKIM and SPF declare,
>so any perceived DMARC issues *do* include DKIM and SPF

but this is irelevant here.

On 28.11.23 10:36, Noel Butler wrote:
>Well, if there is a pass and a failure not "everything" is OK.

Not "a pass and a failure". A DKIM pass and SPF pass.

But when the SPF is not aligned, DMARC wording requires sending report for
"fo=1", because of RFC
	something other than an aligned "pass" result.

reporting 2 passes but inaligned is non-sense and quite common for mail
forwarding, and mailing lists, including this one.

>>Perhaps RFC 7489 needs clarification of what exactly needs to be
>>reported and what not.
>
>7489  makes fo=1|s|d clear, perhaps fo=0 could be worded differently,

>most of us, or perhaps just many of us,  understand 0 means only if

I did a mistake before and corrected it:

Wording of fo=0 is fine, report is only send for failed DMARC check.
The unaligned SPF is only issue when DKIM fails.

>everything fails then send a report because thats how I see it and how
>it seemed to work when first ran DMARC until I moved fo=1 because I
>want to get failure reports - remember, not all failure reports go to
>humans ;)

>Generally people who halve some idea of what they are doing don't
>bother with RFC's, perhaps the problem is with the software
>documentation as that's what they tend to go for.

So, generally do you recommend us not to follow RFC and risk possible issues
that are currently unseen?
I prefer fixing the RFC instead.

My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.