Amavis and OpenDMARC

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Nov 21 03:06:00 CET 2023

On 16/11/2023 18:47, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> Keeping header From: and DKIM signatures is perfectly fine, if ML does
> not modify the mail, which afaik is the default setting.

This also depends on how you set DKIM's canonicalization

> there is also a mailman setting to remove existing DKIM sigs, so when
> you get the post, you should not see the OP sigs, which should have
> been verified by the mailing list server upon receipt of that message.
> This makes sense if ML modifies body and then replaced original From:
> with its own. In such case new signature for ML domain has to be
> created.
>
> I'd like to repeat that *this* list does the former and it's perfectly
> OK.

I repeat depends upon canonicalization, like only if you set c =
relaxed/relaxed.
The fact this list does not modify the body by adding a footer also
helps those who use relaxed/simple.

Anyone using simple/simple should have a DKIM fail and plenty use that
setting, prior to July this year - when I was using this address on file
with Federal Law Enforcement agencies for receiving shall we say certain
formal requests ;) I used fully strict with simple/simple - as earlier
posts on this list would show

dkim=fail reason="signature verification failed" (2048-bit key)
header.d=ausics.net

> I believe the issue lies in bad formulation of condition for fo:
>
> 1: Generate a DMARC failure report if any underlying
> authentication mechanism produced something other than an
> aligned "pass" result.

I've never had an fo=1 SPF failure report, because DKIM would pass, even
when used on lists, I don't get them, my weekly reports do say we get
plenty of DKIM unaligned, but no forensic reports, I used to get them
when I posted to dovecot users, but I think Aki's fixed the settings as
last couple posts I never got any forensic reports.

> ...I understand this as SPF unaligned with header From: should be
> reported for domain in header From:.

SPF should only check and report on envelope-sender/return-path, if and
only if that does not exist it should use the EHLO domain, it should not
care about From, last time I looked - a decade or so ago - it never did,
but lets try something...

telnet mail.ausics.net 25
Trying 120.88.115.158...
Connected to mail.ausics.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.ausics.net ESMTP Postfix - Hello, is there anybody in there,
just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home
ehlo roswell.ausics.net
250-mail.ausics.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 51200000