Amavis and OpenDMARC

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Nov 16 03:13:09 CET 2023

On 15/11/2023 13:59, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On 11/14/23 22:03, Noel Butler wrote: I would understand if those
> reports were required for DKIM fail or SPF fail, but missing aligned
> SPF pass is something common with mailing lists.
> You only get them on failures not every message, and no, not all
> mailing lists fail on DKIM, those who take the time to configure
> mailman properly should be fine.

   Please pardon me for jumping in.  Is there a good reference article
for this that you could point me to?

                Thanks,
                -Dave

fo=0:  a DMARC failure/forensic report is sent to you if your email
fails both SPF and DKIM alignment - This is the default if unspecified.

fo=1:  a DMARC failure/forensic report is sent to you when your email
fails either SPF or DKIM alignment - Contrary to belief of some, no you
don't get bombarded with failures, perhaps this is because many don't
honour this.

fo=d: a DKIM failure report is sent if the email's DKIM signature fails
validation, regardless of the alignment

fo=s: an SPF failure report is sent if the email fails SPF evaluation,
irrespective of the alignment.

fo=1  is in fact the most heavily used, don't take my word for it, do
your own homework.

Forwarding and for all intents and purposes, that includes mailing
lists, should rewrite sender and envelope sender addresses, this is what
happens with mailman when its settings are checked to do so (sadly, that
is NOT  default settings), there is also a mailman setting to remove
existing DKIM sigs, so when you get the post, you should not see the OP
sigs, which should have been verified by the mailing list server upon
receipt of that message.

So it gets it, if it passes, it removes it and adds its own sig details,
likewise with SPF, the OP is no longer sending the message, the domain
of the list server is, so THAT is the only tests that should be
performed.

Also SPF related, a non mailing list type service that forwards, should
receive, test and if pass, rewrite to its domain/hostname to send onto
where ever the forward address is, jesus people these things were
discovered and addressed a decade ago :)

--
Regards,
Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to
copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate
this message without the authors express written authority to do so.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then
delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.