Amavis and OpenDMARC

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Nov 15 10:33:19 CET 2023

On 15.11.23 09:13, Damian wrote:
>fo is for debugging. If someone defines fo for their domain and gets a
>bunch of failure reports, they get what they wished for. The mailing
>list itself does not have to process those failure reports, nor is the
>mailing list penalized for it.

You seem to repeatedly misunderstand what I am talking about.
The mailing list has nothing to do with that.

If you fo=1 on your domain:

- one of your users will mail to his friend who set up forward to gmail.
- friend's mail server forwards the mail to gmail.com servers
- gmail will send you report that the forwarded mail did not pass aligned SPF.

It does not mater whether friend's mail server does SRS (which will make SPF
pass but not be aligned), or does NOT SRS (which will make SPF not pass).

The same happens if one of your users will send mail to any mailing list,
which preserves DKIM (your domain) but can not preserve SPF.

You will get bombed for reports about mails forwarded by recipients of
forwarded mail from your users, or by recipients of any mail sent by your
users into mailing lists.

...and I repeat that this will happen for each mail to this mailing list,
because mail from it comes to me with:
- envelope from: amavis-users-bounces+uhlar=fantomas.sk at amavis.org
- header From: Damian <amavis at arcsin.de>

Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are