Amavis and OpenDMARC

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Dec 2 15:54:45 CET 2023

On 02.12.23 13:25, Noel Butler wrote:
>We will have to agree to disagree

okay...

>>Not "a pass and a failure". A DKIM pass and SPF pass.
>>
>>But when the SPF is not aligned, DMARC wording requires sending
>>report for "fo=1", because of RFC     something other than an
>>aligned "pass" result.

>I think this thread is coming to an end as we seem to be going round
>in circle

...all the time I'm trying to find out whether my claim is valid or not.

Unfortunately, they're different claims brought instead all the time.

> SPF _alignment_ is governed by your DMARC policy

DMARC doesn't say that SPF must be aligned with From:.
It only says that SPF can only be used if envelope from is aligned with
header From:.

>if you
>use _relaxed_ only _one_ need pass so why if you use _relaxed_ would
>you expect it to mail you if they dont match, if you want full
>alignment I guess trying _simple_ :)

Incorrect.
"relaxed" in DMARC allows subdomains matching, "strict" does not.

Neither is related to different domain in envelope vs. headers.

And neither says if both SPF and DKIM must match.

>>So, generally do you recommend us not to follow RFC and risk
>>possible issues that are currently unseen?
>>I prefer fixing the RFC instead.
>
>I think the RFC overall is fine maybe some wording could be changed
>but its really cosmetic, and Scott K posted what to do if you think it
>needs changing, but for that you will need an abundance of evidence to
>support any changes I think.

BSE = Mad Cow Desease ... BSA = Mad Software Producents Desease