Delays in mail deliveries

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Fri Mar 11 14:12:27 CET 2022

On 3/3/2022 1:34 μ.μ., Damian wrote:
>> You mean I should change the processes number below (2) to match
>> amavis $max_servers configured value (currently 10)?
> This would be one possible way, yes. A good number depends on cpu and
> memory usage and availability. SpamAssassin can be greedy, and
> clamscan (not clamdscan) as av_scanner will be even worse.

This helped in improving the behavior of the server. Thanks.

I stayed with a value of 2 and I configured amavis $max_servers to 2.

>> Would it possibly help to also increase amavis $max_servers to a
>> higher value?
> For your original problem? I doubt it.

As an update, I would like to inform you that the main problem seems to
be the low I/O (virtual disk) performance of the VPS service where these
servers are hosted.

This was exacerbated by unnecessary and undesired incoming
connections/disconnections flowing-in in high rates at times to the 25
port of the internal server (which had not been closed entirely to the
world - it is now).

The behavior is much better now, after I followed your advice (and some
more at the postfix mailing list) and identified multiple issues which
should have been addressed.

Thanks to all who helped!

Cheers,
Nick