Delays in mail deliveries

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Wed Mar 2 22:19:06 CET 2022

On 2/3/2022 9:10 μ.μ., Damian wrote:

> maxproc does not match $max_servers.

Thanks Damian for your kind assistance,

You mean I should change the processes number below (2) to match amavis
$max_servers configured value (currently 10)?

smtp-amavis unix -      -       n -       2       lmtp     -o
smtp_data_done_timeout=1200

>>     -o smtp_data_done_timeout=1200
>>     -o smtp_send_xforward_command=yes
>
> These are the wrong options for an lmtp service. This is why you see:
>
>> client IP address unknown, fetched from Received: 127.0.0.1

Most probably I have copied them from some tutorial of a similar setup,
a long time ago. (I can't remember any more.)

Do you suggest to remove them entirely or change their values? Would you
configure:

smtp-amavis unix -      -       n -       10       lmtp
     -o disable_dns_lookups=yes
     -o max_use=20

or you would suggest additional options?

> Beyond that, delays of 120s and 300s look suspiciously man-made. I
> don't have a concrete idea, though. This may be a question for
> postfix-users (together with related logs from vmail2).

Could a possible cause be that postfix default_process_limit is
currently as low as 10?

Would it possibly help to also increase amavis $max_servers to a higher
value?

Could you suggest some "safe values"?

Thanks,
Nick