Delays in mail deliveries

Bastian Blank bblank at thinkmo.de
Wed Mar 2 14:52:30 CET 2022

Hi

On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 12:00:40PM +0200, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> You are right that our mail servers' name (configured with postfix mail_name
> directive) has been changed from the default value (which is "Postfix").
> Yet, I think it doesn't harm. Does it?

Well, it removes information to understand the trace, for no particular
reason.

> The idea was to configure some kind of customized banner. Should we probably
> keep the word Postfix and also add the rest of our custom text? Or should we
> use some other directive to add a customized banner? Please advise!

You can modify smtpd_banner.  But what is your goal here?

> Now, regarding the actual issue: You are right; it took mailgw1.noa.gr 4
> minutes to process the mail and deliver to the final destination (yes,
> dovecot @vmail2.noa.gr as I had also mentioned). This time may increase to
> 10 minutes or more, so I am looking for possible ways to reduce that time.
> Do you think that the processing time is low enough that it does not worth
> the effort?

Amavis is not near that 4 or 10 minute gap.  Again, logs?

Bastian

--
Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.
		-- Klingon Soldier, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown