Better antivirus (AV) protection?

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Tue Apr 5 17:58:46 CEST 2022

On 5/4/2022 6:12 μ.μ., Damian wrote:

> Look for "Found decoder for" lines on Amavis restart.

I did a localinstall of the package. After Amavis reload:

Apr  5 18:21:35 mailgw1 amavis[1064531]: Found decoder for .rar  at
/usr/bin/unrar
Apr  5 18:21:35 mailgw1 amavis[1064531]: Found decoder for .exe  at
/usr/bin/unrar; /usr/bin/unarj

I did a test sending an email to myself (from an external account I use)
with the 7z attachment.

It was decoded successfully; the virus was NOT detected (even though we
use sanesecurity and more), but the file was banned, because we ban exe
files.

(Yes, it seems we ban exe files even in compressed archives, after all;
my volatile memory...)

I reported the virus file at: https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware

...So, having resolved RAR archives scanning (which was very important
indeed), we reach back to the initial question about better AV protection...

I might go for a second AV scanner, perhaps bitdefender as Benny
Pedersen just suggested. (Thank you!)

If there is any documentation to integrate it with amavis as a second
scanner, please send a link or directions!

Cheers,
Nick