Cannot ban lzh attachment

pali at cpan.org pali at cpan.org
Tue Nov 30 14:20:31 CET 2021

On Tuesday 30 November 2021 14:35:11 Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On CentOS 8 / amavis 2.12 we are receiving (a significant number of)
> incoming mail, each addressed to a large number of people in our org, each
> with two virus infected attachments: .lzh and .gz extension.
>
> I have configured:
>
> $banned_filename_re = new_RE(
>
> ### BLOCKED ANYWHERE
>    qr'^\.(exe|lha|cab|dll|lzh)$',
>
> yet, we are still receiving such mail.

> My questions:
>
> 1. Since I have configured .lzh as "BLOCKED ANYWHERE", shouldn't such an
> email be banned, as it contains a file attachment with .lzh extension? Why
> the mail is not getting dropped?

Hello! IIRC pattern ^\. is used for specifying file(1) type and
pattern .\. for specifying filename extension. But I'm not sure.
Anyway if it is truth that ^\. does not specify file extension then it
would explain why qr'^\.(exe|lha|cab|dll|lzh)$' did not blocked files
with lzh extension. Could you try to change that pattern to following
one if it helps? qr'.\.(exe|lha|cab|dll|lzh)$'