Whitelisting server "non-deliverable" notices

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Sat Jan 30 10:15:45 CET 2021

Hi,

I would like to ask: is there a way an (incoming) mail gateway server
(i.e. a server accepting incoming mail for an organization) to somehow
detect/understand genuine non-deliverable notices and avoid blocking
them as spam?

These non-deliverable notices occur due to mail sending by the outgoing
mail server our organization (postfix/dovecot); if there is any problem,
the remote servers may reply with such notices, which in turn reach the
incoming mail gateway servers of our organization. These servers,
running postfix/amavis/clamav/spamassassin, usually block such responses
which, however, may be useful to the original sender.

I see a lot of such notices in the quarantine.

How do you handle this issue in your setups?

Thanks,
Nick