AcceptedInternal vs AcceptedInbound, RejectedInternal vs RejectedInbound

Jean-Michel Brünn himself at jeanbruenn.info
Sat Aug 7 20:33:11 CEST 2021

Hi there,

first of all, is there a list somewhere (I didn't find it in the
documentation but maybe I did not search good enough) where all the
possible states like AcceptedInternal, AcceptedInbound and so on are
listed and explained?

second I'm kinda confused: If I enable dkim verification and send an
EICAR test to my system I get RejectedInbound. Without dkim verification
enabled I get RejectedInternal. I was playing around with policy banks
and kept wondering why an mail from gmail to my system was listed with
AcceptedInternal (I assumed that this had to do with the fact that I am
using sockets due to amavisd-milter for communication). Anyway, once I
enable dkim verification in Postfix it's AcceptedInbound instead of
AcceptedInternal (which is correct).

I also saw on the maillinglist and on other websites that there are
problems with $originating = 1 which pretty much match my observations
but I didn't see a fix for it. Now I noticed that enabling dkim
verification seems to fix it.

I'm using amavisd-new 2.11.1 with amavisd-milter 1.7.1 with Postfix 3.5.6.

If it's helpful I may post my configuration. Just let me know, but I
guess this issue is known already?

Jean