spamassassin bayes training

Nick Leverton nick at leverton.org
Mon Jul 13 11:59:34 CEST 2020

In article <b3c51eff-7b07-05ea-9c75-2f7ce91a9de5 at nbmlaw.co.uk>,
Matthew Broadhead  <matthew.broadhead at nbmlaw.co.uk> wrote:
>hi,
>
>i am using postfix, dovecot, amavisd, spamassassin and clamav on centos 7
>
>i have set up spamassassin to use bayes and i seem to be getting ham and
>spam flagged in a MySQL database.  my database is called sa_bayes and
>the table bayes_seen has records with flags s and h inside.
>
>but nothing seems to be happening in terms of spam filtering.  i would
>expect anything that was suspected of being spam to be moved to the spam
>folder.
>
>is there something i am missing in my amavisd config?

Has SpamAssassin seen both 200 hams and 200 spams ?  If not, then
SA is still in training mode and won't score emails until you have.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPAMASSASSIN/BayesNotWorking
has some things to look into and try (bayes_min_ham_num and
bayes_min_spam_num can be significantly lowered in local.cf, IME).

Note, some SA rules which override normal scoring, such as
whitelist/blacklists, will prevent it from learning from an email.

Nick