Permission Denied Issue in amavisd service

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Wed Aug 26 15:34:18 CEST 2020

On 2020-08-26 09:19, Rob Sterenborg (Lists) wrote:
> On 26-08-2020 04:27, Aung Ye Kyaw wrote:
>> *Dear Sirs,*
>>
>> I would like to ask one issue that I added a new dkim in amavisd.conf
>> file and then restarted amavisd service but service failed so I changed
>> back to original amavisd.conf file .The service is still failed.Let me
>> know why this happened ? Please help me if u are available .Thank You so
>> much.
>
> (I think we prefer plain-text messages here, no screenshots.)
>
> Check the permissions on file /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf.
> The amavisd process must be able to read it and it looks like it cannot.

This is my pet issue. When you first start the daemon, the config file
is read as root. It's only when you reload that the file must be
readable by the less-privileged amavis user. This leads to unexpected
crashes in the middle of the night after amavis started fine earlier.

There's an issue open here with some code to fix it:

  https://gitlab.com/amavis/amavis/-/issues/10