Outgoing mail being scanned? Open relay warning.

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 22:15:49 CEST 2020

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>
wrote:

> On 04.08.20 14:45, Ian Evans wrote:
> >My email works fine and I've been using this setup for a few years but I
> >just dove into the logs and it seems amavis is giving me open relay
> >warnings:
> >
> >Open relay? Nonlocal recips but not originating: [person I'm emailing]
>
> this happens when 'originating' flag is not set and recipient is not local.
> maybe you don't have $mynetworks amavis variable set
>
> >AND it looks like it's scanning my OUTGOING mail:
> >
> >Passed CLEAN {RelayedOpenRelay},
> >
> >Anything I should be checking?
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar at fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akuorigintingkolvek reklamnu
> postu.
> Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer.
> Linux - Teraz mozete pocitac bez obav zapnut.

Okay bizarre. Just did a grep on my conf.d dir and 'originating' and
'$mynetworks' don't appear in any of these files:

01-debian
05-domain_id
05-node_id
15-av_scanners
15-content_filter_mode
20-debian_defaults
21-ubuntu_defaults
25-amavis_helpers
30-template_localization
40-policy_banks
50-user

Again except for these outgoing notices in the logs, the server has worked
fine for years. Amavis, Postfix and Dovecot are all on the same server.

Just so I don't upset the apple cart, what do I need to add and to which
file do I need to add it?

MAny thanks.